If you are reading this, you already know. You already know that you need to fix your money mindset.
There is a part of your mind that freezes whenever you think about money.
You want to spend money, but you feel sick whenever you do. Guilt stays with you for weeks after you make a purchase that you wanted. You love spending money, but never have anything saved for emergencies, and you don’t have money to achieve any goals.
If you are going to fix your money mindset, realizing that you need to is the hardest step there is.
And you have already done it.
Now I’m going to give you THREE simple practices that will help you fix, grow, change and transform the way you think about money.
How Do I Know If I Need To Fix My Money Mindset?
Does your money mindset actually need fixing?
How do you know if it is broken?
Before I discuss this I would like you to remember a couple of things.
Firstly, you’re not broken.
If you do have money issues, they are often as a result of your early upbringing, and they might stem from issues that you didn’t even know existed.
Just because you can’t see the whole picture, that doesn’t mean that you are “broken” or need “fixing”. These words are just tools!
Secondly, everybody has their own levels of limiting beliefs.
Even wealthy people make money mindset mistakes.
So, with that in mind, how can you tell if you need to fix your mindset and relationship with money?
Here are a few “symptoms” to look out for:
- Even when you HAVE money, you are stressed, guilty, or worried about the future
- You think money is going to take your happiness away or will make you give up on your purpose as an entrepreneur
- You can’t tell me where your money is going every month
- You think about past expenses more than you think about the present
- Bank accounts either give you chills and you avoid them, OR you look at them multiple times per day like something will magically change
- You stress about bills coming in but then spend lots of money on “luxury” items
- You NEVER talk about money
- Your financial goals are based on “X amount of dollars” instead of “the life I want to live with X amount of dollars”
- You think the only reason you may need to stop with your business is because of money
- You think things will change and you will get wealthy eventually without a financial plan or effective budget
REAL AND SUSTAINABLE WEALTH CREATION IS POSSIBLE.
But it starts with you opening your mind. You have to make the decision to do something differently with your money.
I help my clients transform their relationship with money, make peace with it and then help them create an abundance mindset so they can keep going for the rest of their lives!
And this can be your reality.
Money Mindset Exercise #1: Forgive Your Past Money Mistakes
The first exercise you need to do to transform your mindset is to forgive your past mistakes.
Let me explain with a story.
So I had this client. Let’s call her Alison.
Alison has money. She has a stable income.
She loves buying clothes, and will search online for the best deals.
So she bought a shirt she wanted, and then had to buy flights to see her family.
She stressed out because she felt like she couldn’t afford to buy flights (even though the money was right there in her account).
For months, she struggled with these two conflicting feelings. The fact that she wanted to buy a shirt, but NEEDED to go see her family. She felt so guilty about spending money, and then got confused when she spent money on a shirt which meant nothing.
My client Alison is an example of someone that is living in the past.
People stay in this mindset for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, they are living with cognitive dissonance.
Cognitive dissonance is the aching feeling you get when your actions don’t match your deep beliefs. You spend money, but you instantly regret it.
Our money beliefs come from our early years. Our parents and the environment we lived on our childhood shape the way we see the world. So if you come from a home where money is a scarce resource and your parents taught you not to “waste money”, you might get feelings of discomfort when you start seeing money coming your way. That’s because it’s a totally new feeling for you!
But to avoid feeling that discomfort, you reach out to spend that money as quickly as possible on random things so that at the end of your day you aren’t fulfilled because you weren’t intentional about it.
The other reason clients like Alison get stuck in this feeling is because they don’t know that money is just a tool.
There is no “worthy” and “unworthy” spending. It’s about alignment. Money is a renewable resource, and a purchase is just a purchase.
If you feel like you have to hold onto every dollar that you spend, you will regret every purchase and get stuck in the past!
To fix your money mindset, the first thing you need to do is to forgive your past self.
Forgive the lessons your parents taught you as a child. Forgive the times you spent money and felt guilty for days. Acknowledge that your mindset has been broken up until this point.
Action steps to fix your money mindset in the past:
- Sit down with a pen and paper. Think back to your uncomfortable money situations (e.g. times where you spent money and felt guilty, times when your parents wouldn’t let you buy something). Why were they uncomfortable? What beliefs are driving them?
Money Mindset Exercise #2: Plan For The Future
If you want to build real wealth and happiness, you MUST plan for the future.
One of the biggest money mindset mistakes you can make is to continue doing what you have always done!
I get it, you want to be wealthy.
But if you still
- Price your services low because you think people won’t pay for higher prices and are scared of rejection
- Have only one source of income because you just “aren’t a money person”
- Keep putting off your budget
- Ignore the guilt you feel when you spend money (because you think it’s normal)
Then guess what?
NOTHING IS EVER GOING TO CHANGE.
I don’t just teach my clients how to make peace with money- I teach them how to manage it as well and fulfil their purpose with it too!
Even if you get to where you want to be financially, there is no guarantee that you will actually be happier than you are now.
Business coaches teach you how to start your business. They might show you how to make money.
But what do you do once you get there? What if you get to your financial goals and you are no closer to your dreams.
That’s why my 12 week coaching program always starts with mindset. You need to start with where you are going.
Action steps for fixing your future money mindset:
- As well as making a plan, I want you to get excited about the future! I want you to get so excited about how much money you are going to have- and then never stop being excited
- Treat your business like you are already making that dream amount of money. That means you need to budget like a business owner, and make tangible plans like a business owner (if you need help, you can get a copy of my free financial road map for entrepreneurs!)
Money Mindset Exercise #3: Enjoy the present
You have your own unique money journey.
I can’t tell you exactly how to fix your mindset without meeting you in person.
But the fact that I know for sure?
You will NEVER be happy & wealthy if you don’t enjoy your present money reality.
One of the biggest money mindset mistakes entrepreneurs make? Believing that they will be happy… one day… when they have money.
We get so focused on building our business and planning for the future that we forget all the blessings we have now. We forget how much we have already done.
So before I can give you affirmations and action steps for enjoying the present, I need you to
- Close your eyes
- Thank the universe for everything you have RIGHT NOW
- Thank your body and your mind for serving your dreams
- Think about your purpose and the legacy you want to leave on this world – what would it say about your money behaviour? How would that best version of yourself describe your life? Clarity comes when you step away from your own mis-beliefs
If you truly want to unlock your wealth (which, you know you can do right??!) then gratitude is a simple practice to start.
Sitting with yourself, your money thoughts, and acknowledging where you are right now.
You are not broken. You just need to upgrade your money mindset! In my 12 Week 1:1 Coaching Program, I teach entrepreneurs how to go from confused and scared of money to thriving, purpose-driven money magnets.