You don’t want to be told you are making money mindset mistakes.
I am almost certain that you don’t want to hear this.
But if you are anything like I was (or like any other woman who has started a business online), there is a high chance that you have at LEAST one of these limiting beliefs.
And it’s not your fault. Money mindset is HARD. Your relationship with money started way back, since you started to absorb habits, actions and beliefs on your childhood. And most of the business owners don’t fix it because they don’t even realize it’s broken!
That’s why I’m going to share with you the biggest money mindset mistakes I see female entrepreneurs making- and how to start fixing them.
“I WILL be happy… When I Make More Money”
This is a common belief, especially if you perceive money as “scarce”.
Maybe you haven’t had a lot of money before, or you are a new entrepreneur so every dollar is sacred.
And it makes sense!
You don’t have a lot of money, and life is S.T.R.E.S.S.F.U.L. You don’t know if you’ll make it to the next time a client pays you or your own paycheck, you can’t afford to go visit family, or have a holiday you wanted.
Sometimes it feels like you can’t be the person you wanted to be when you decided to start your business.
And even when you do spend, you just feel GUILTY.
So, if you just had more money, you would be happy.
This is one of the first money mindset mistakes I work on with my financial coaching clients, and here’s why:
- People with a lot of money aren’t necessarily happier
- If you get wealthy but don’t have an abundance mindset to match it, you will still be lost and miserable
- If you don’t know how to be happy now, with what you’ve already got, you won’t be happy when you reach this higher dollar amount
And I know this for a fact because I was in the exact same position that you were in!
I wanted to make money, so I could finally travel, and I worked damn hard to get it.
But when I was brought in big dollars working in corporate, I got extremely sick and my body literally started shutting down. Even though I was earning more, I still wasn’t any closer to being happy.
How to start fixing this money mindset mistake:
- Recognizing everything that we already have plays a crucial role in shifting our mindset. It takes you from feeling nothing is working and you have still so much to accomplish, to realizing how far you have come and how much you actually have. So, write down everything that makes you feel happy or was positive in your day. Create your own gratitude journal and let your brain know how much it has accomplished.
If you wait for a magical moment to have a lot of money to be happy , you are also wasting a much more important resource- time!
“I don’t have money so I can’t invest”
Don’t worry, I get it.
Everyone in the online world is telling you to “invest in yourself”.
But how can you invest in yourself when your bank account is telling you you can’t?
You’ve already put everything on the line to start your business, and now people are telling you to spend more than you’ve made in the last quarter!
If you’re not used to spending money on “non-essentials”, then investing in yourself and your business is terrifying. Some people even feel physically sick thinking about that much money!
But, think about that last time you went on a spa. Think about how much it boosted your energy. How many things did you accomplish that day?
that time where you invested on your social media platform to get more organized in your posting schedule? What a blessing because know you can be more effective showing up.
Refusing to invest in yourself is one of the most damaging money mindset mistakes you could ever make.
The thing about investment- any investment- is that it involves risk. Investing in yourself, however, is one of the most profitable and low risk investments you can do.
How to start fixing this money mindset mistake:
- Start investing like any other investor on the market- in small amounts. Be intentional and measure how much you gain out of every investment you do in your business or yourself. This is what it means to be your own boss!
Related Post: How Self Investment Boosts Your Wealth
“My Money Is My Business Money and Vice Versa”
Most of my clients are just starting out on their entrepreneurial journey.
I see so many new entrepreneurs ignoring the difference between their personal finances and their business ones. This becomes a financial system problem.
And do you know what happens?
They get 6 months, 12 months, into their business, start making some real money- and then not even noticing they had made that much! Why? Because they don’t know when the business money starts and finishes.
This is why I am so passionate about wealth management (not just creating wealth!).
Thinking that you don’t need financial systems/structure is a huge mindset mistake because:
- It’s hard to recognize that your business is actually growing (Faster or slower) than you expected and it will frustrate you lot more.
- When there is no plan to follow, you are more likely to give up as (which is a big no-no if you want to build REAL wealth) , therefore every low point would be a great excuse to get out.
- You spend money in places that doesn’t mean anything or add any value whatsoever for you or your business.
- You don’t know what you want for yourself, therefore your business is confused and stuck
How to start fixing this mindset:
- Keep track of where your money is going NOW (I designed this budget template for entrepreneurs that you can download and use for free!)
- Think wealthy and organize as such – because you actually are – then when you have higher income, you will be more prepared
“I’m a Beginner So I Can’t Charge More Than X Amount”
So you’re a beginner.
Pricing yourself relates to the value you can bring, and how much you can change the lives of your customers.
I am here to tell you that you can charge whatever you want for your products and services (there will always be a market for everything), … As long as you fix your relationship with money first.
It’s not that you don’t have any value to give.
It’s that you don’t believe that you are ALLOWED to charge that much. You believe that money is hard to make. You believe that nobody can afford your services because you don’t deserve that much.
But, you know deep down as you’re reading this that everything is in your head. Self-belief keeps you grounded on the price once you couldn’t afford yourself.
You can charge high prices as a new entrepreneur.
Believe in yourself, believe that you are allowed to make big money as a newbie- and then go do a GREAT job for your customers!
How to fix this money mindset:
- Write down all the ways that you help your customers/clients. How do you improve their lives? This will help you feel like you deserve what you are charging!
- Time yourself when you are working in your business. Are you making minimum wage? LESS than minimum wage? Even people without marketable skills are entitled to minimum wage. So, if you have a skill that will help your target market, it’s time to start charging more
- Visit past moments in your life where you couldn’t afford something you really wanted and heal yourself. Allow yourself to feel the pain or shame and remind yourself that you don’t have to hold onto those feelings
“I Don’t Need To Work On My Money Mindset”
This is the #1 biggest money mistake you can make.
I don’t care how long you have been in business. Every single woman has money mindset challenges on different levels that they need to address.
And those might change over time! For example, just because I learnt how to create wealth from a place of peace and purpose, that doesn’t mean I don’t have any other mindset issues that I have to work on.
If you want to improve your relationship with money, the first thing to do is to forgive your past self & set free your mind to dream as big as you want it to.
Then, plan for the future!
In my free financial planner, I give you 6 steps to
- Unlock your wealth potential
- Achieve your money dreams without the overwhelm
- Drastically improve your money mindset and future planning
- Help you dream bigger- I want you to have wealth AND happiness!